About Wroclaw

Tourist Information

There is much to see in Wroclaw.  Probably the main attraction is the medieval town square and the area around it. The old city hall was built in 1580. It contains an astronomical clock, and the restaurant in the celler claims to be the oldest restaurant in Europe.

Wroclaw was originally built on a group of islands near the merging of the Oder and Olawa river. Some of the Oder branches were closed, so that some of the original islands are not islands anymore.  Some of the islands still exist as islands and they are very nice to walk around. The church island  (shown on the poster) is not an island anymore.

Experience

The faculty of computer science in Wroclaw has organized quite a few international conferences before. In 1994, we organized CSL 94, in 2004,  we organized CSL 2004. In 2007, there was LICS/ICALP, which had 500 participants.

Short History

The city of Wroclaw was mentioned for the first time in the 10th century, under the name of Vratislavia. Originally, it was inhabited by Slawic people. In 1241, the city got destroyed for the first time during the Mongol invasion.  After that, the city was rebuilt and repopulated by Germans, and the city remained German until  the end of the second world war.

At the end of the second world war, it was decided by Germans to defend Wroclaw against the advancing Russian troops at any cost (Festung Breslau). The Germans managed to hold out quite succesfully, until 6th of May 1945 (which is four days longer than those softies in Berlin), but the city got pretty destroyed in the process. Surprisingly enough, most of the damage was done by the Germans themselves, because they decided to create open spaces inside the city, which would be convenient for the defence against the Russians. In addition, they built a landing strip inside the city, close to the place where is now the faculty of computer science.

After the war, it was decided in Potsdam that Wroclaw would become a Polish city. The communist government repaired (or rebuilt) most of the city center quite well, (certainly much better than the DDR would have done it), but they also inserted some ugly buildings, which are still standing today. There are still many open spaces in the city left, but they are being filled quickly, so you are likely to see a lot of construction sites. The new faculty of Computer Science (2006),  in which the conference takes place, stands at such an open place. Fortunately for everyone involved, architectural standards improved dramatically after the end of communism, and the Computer Science building is quite beautiful.

Comments are closed.